[thelist] CF 5.0 beta 1 released - FOR RAY

Raymond Camden morpheus at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 17:38:58 CST 2001

>  From what I've read, but admittadly haven't yet tried, this doesn't
> appear to be a .0 release. Other than the new administrator application
> and the 'query of a query' features, this doesn't seem like much more
> than an enchancement release to fix some CF tags.

Oh no, remember, this is beta 1. Some, I repeat, some of the other new features coming
are:

User Defined Functions
Server side graphing
Flushed output (great for slow pages)
Site archiving (this is a big name for a bunch of tools that make backing up site/server
settings much easier)

Other stuff is in the works as well, but I can't say much more. Of course, the big one is
UDF.

> I understand that the whole thing is being rebuilt on a J2EE base, and
> thats cool. What I'd really like to see - and I'm sure I'm not the only

No, not CF 5. The release of CF _after_ CF5 will be rewritten in Java. That's the "NEO"
project. By the way - so far, Neo rocks. It's _extremely_ fast.

> one - is Allaire/MM fix the current problems that plauge the CF app
> server. Three I can name off the top of my head are <cfschedule> not
> working on linux correctly, <cfpop> and its rather idiotic way of
> parsing date/time stamps(or the lack of any parsing at all), and pretty
> much every filesystem orientated tag(cffile, cfexecute, etc) on the Unix
> platforms.

I haven't heard of any of these bugs. Have you reported them to ALLR? Or do you have a
place where I can read details about them?

[misc rantings about linux]
Well, I can't really help you there since I don't work with the CF Product team -
however, I can say that product reliability IS very important to us. The 4.5 line had
some issues, which is why you saw an immidiate 4.5.1, SP, etc, so QA is _very_ much on
our minds. I _know_ that sounds like marketing BS, and I know I'm biased, but I hope you
believe me when I say that we are trying to put out the best product possible.

Again, if you can send me some info (bug #s or forums postings) about the Linux issues, I
can take a look for you and see what the current situation is.

-Raymond Camden