[thelist] ASP/SQL Solution for Double Currency Web Site

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Feb 21 20:00:28 CST 2001

>> I'm wondering if I should actually be storing my "varExRate"
>> in my database?
>
>nah, store it in an Application() variable. Its what they're there for.

hey scott

well yes, an interesting alternative to the SSI approach

and for small instances, such as a modest ceramics web site, certainly
practical

but that's dangerous thinking on a large scale

having *process logic* handle rate conversions is way less flexible than
dealing with the issue up front in a proper data architecture

for instance, if there are any non-web processes that have to run, let's
say like backend order fulfillment, crystal reports, downloading to
accounting systems, stuff like that, then they would *all* have to have a
similar methods built into their code...

... with the general result that the process logic of calculating a rate is
replicated into every damn piece of programming ever written, often whether
it needs it or not, leading to all-around code bloat and maintenance
headaches

;o)

don't get me going on data versus code

you young code whippersnappers don't know nuthin....

[ no need to flame back, i'm going offline now -- tee hee ]

rudy.ca