[thelist] Dynamic PDF editing - conversion????

Joseph A Borg tech at az-ink.com.mt
Thu Feb 22 06:26:44 CST 2001

on 22/02/01 1:17 AM, JR at jr_junk at yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks....but I have already seen these
> articles...they don't really do it for me.
>
> Any other suggestions??
>
> John
>

>> My companies Sales Dept...like many others...sold a
>> service that they ASSUMED would be easy to
>> implement.
>>
>> As usual, they are a bunch of idiots.
>>
>> 1. Our client has a crap load of pre-existing PDF
>> files.
>> 2. They want the ability to (via the web) enter
>> "imprint" information.
>> 3. The imprint information will consist of 5 lines
>> of
>> variable text.
>> 4. I have the task of automating the process of
>> "Imprinting" the existing PDF's...saving a copy and
>> then converting that newly created file into a .TIF
>> and an .EPS.
>> 5. All of the files must be of PRINT Quality.
>> 6. The files will then be put on CD to be shipped to
>> various publishers (newspapers, magazines...) to be
>> used as Advertisements.

-----------

the best solution I can think of is to use Adobe Indesign it works with
PDFs. You can place the pdf in a new page and add your text in a new layer
then try to save as pdf again...

If you want tiffs, these will be large and cumbersome, but... open them pdfs
in Photoshop, if you have the fonts (I don't recall if photoshop rasterises
fonts unavailable in your system) then add your text in a new layer and save
as tiff... If you're using the Mac you could even sort of automate the
process with applescript or batch process the files

my Maltese 2c (c. $0.05)

regards

Joseph