[thelist] Browser Detection

Barret A Monchka bmonchka at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 17:59:21 CST 2001

   I created the following javascript code to detect whether a user is using
IE or Netscape version 4 or greater.  If the user is not I want to display
an alert msg.  It is not working :(  If anybody know how to fix it please
let me know.

if ( (name == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" || name == "Netscape") &&
(version > 4) )
{
}
else
{
alert("Our web site is best viewed with Netscape Communicator or Internet
Explorer version 4 or higher.  Some aspects of our web site will be
displayed incorrectly with your browser.  If possible, please download a
copy of Netscape or Internet Explorer version 4 or better.  Thank you.");
}

Thank you