[thelist] unsub-ing while I relocate (and tip)

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Thu Feb 22 21:18:00 CST 2001

I'll be unsubscribing while I get myself and family down to our new
house in Austin.
I know you'll miss me :)

A tip to keep you going
<tip author="Sam-I-Am" type="css">

Media-types are alive and well in NN6 and IE5
Check out this demo

http://www.sam-i-am.com/misc/TestSuite/css/mediatypes.html

And try printing the page in IE5 / NN6.
It uses 2 stylesheets, one for screen display, and one for print.

On-screen I need the navigation, and the site's sponsors need me to see
the ads etc..
This happens with a style block like so:
<.style media="screen" type="text/css">
 etc...

To print - I really just want the content:
<.style media="print" type="text/css">
  body,h1,p { color: #000000; background-color:#ffffff }
  .navbar { display: none }
  .adsbar { display: none }
  .noprint  { display: none }
  #printInfo { color:#ffffff; background-color:#000000 }

CSS lets it be so. All client-side, one file, no server-side content
negotiation.

Of course we still need Netscape4 to go away. And there are no doubt
issues in other browsers and on other platforms. (Let me know what you
find?)
But the future looks bright.

</tip>