[thelist] High-Speed Internet Access via Power Lines?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Feb 22 22:39:30 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aylard JA (James)" <jaylard at equilon.com>
To: "Evolt List (E-mail)" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 11:18 PM
Subject: [thelist] High-Speed Internet Access via Power Lines?

> [net-over-AC-lines]
>
> According to the article, such service is already available in some
> European countries. Do any of our European Evolters have any experience
with
> or knowledge of this approach? Any thoughts on how well it works?

last I heard (and this was a while ago), Energis in the UK had to stop doing
telecoms-over-AC trials because the extra signals on the power lines were
leaking out onto the grid and being rebroadcast via streetlighting - this in
turn disrupted emergency services comms, so ambulances were getting crap put
out on their radios by the streetlights.  The trials were stopped rather
quickly!

--
  ___  ___ __ _________ @well.com  William Anderson - www.well.com/~neuro
 / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \|     "All your base are belong to us. You are on