[thelist] Multiple Processors???

Asif Suria asifsuria at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 00:00:45 CST 2001

I am not sure if this question is appropriate for this
list or not. I am new to this list and have found it
very useful these last couple of weeks. If it isnt
please let me know and my apologies to all of you.

I was looking into the configuration of a web server
that my organization was interested in buying and was
trying to decide if a single more powerful processor
server (such a Pentium III 1 Ghz processor) would be
better than using a dual processor server (such as 2
Pentium III 866 Mhz processors).

I know that the Operating System distributes the tasks
between the two processors but there is always the
overhead of distributing the tasks and retrieving the
results. the operating system that we are considering
is Windows 2000 server.

Please let me know if any of you have any ideas or
suggestions.

Thanks,
Asif