[thelist] Dedicated IP vs. "not dedicated" ;)

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Sat Feb 24 01:43:47 CST 2001

At 11:02 PM 2/24/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>In choosing a hosting company for your site, is a dedicated IP better, and
>why?

Gina....

IMvHO - it makes no difference. Especially since ARIN (the guys in charge
of issuing blocks of IPs) are starting to enforce the one IP for virtual
hosting. I run all my virtual hosts on one IP, and its not a problem. (It
used to be, but that was ages ago - 3 or 4 weeks, just kidding.)

The only time you are required to use a single IP per domain, is for using
SSL on your server. For example: I host about a dozen virtual hosts on my
Linux Server. They all use the same IP. However, I have one client that
needs SSL. The SSL certificate needs to be "bound/applied" to a specific
IP. If I have another client that needs SSL, I will need to get another IP
address specifically for the certificate. (clear as mud?)

In short - there is no different in service quality between dedicated ips
and ip sharing for virtual hosting.

---
Anthony Baratta
President