[thelist] one for the database gurus - recursive query

Philippe J philippejadin2 at swing.be
Sat Feb 24 09:48:17 CST 2001

Well, in fact, this thread may come from my question : tree algorythms on
[wdf] . Your very usefull answer was :

-------------

***philippe : (me)***
> So my first question is : does anyone know where I could find tree
> manipulation algo's, if possible easily adaptable in php (c-like) and
> also the diferrent way to impement trees using arrays (db)

***rudy :***

hi philippe

the most detailed discussion of traversing trees that i have found on the
web is chapter 10 of philip greenspun's book "sql for web nerds" --

  Trees in Oracle SQL
  http://www.arsdigita.com/books/sql/trees.html

tree storage in databases is also discussed in these old dbms magazine
articles by joe celko --

  http://www.dbmsmag.com/9603d06.html
  http://www.dbmsmag.com/9604d06.html
  http://www.dbmsmag.com/9605d06.html

in addition, you might want to check out some more general algorithms,
perhaps something will stimulate additional ideas...

  Dr Dobb's Algorithms
  http://www.ddj.com/topics/algorithms/sites.htm?topic=algorithms
  Science & Technology - Computer Science (Algorithms)
  http://www.centerofweb.com/scitech/compsci_algorithms.htm
  Algorithm Calculation and Formulae Resources
  http://www.algorithms.org/links/pages/
  Course Technology--InfoWeb: Algorithms
  http://www.cciw.com/content/algorithms.html
  Nova ALGORITHMS
  http://www.nova.edu/~bodurap/algorithm.html

<plug type=shameless>
i have bookmarks for all of those sites because they link to one of my
pages, the Doomsday Algorithm, which lets you calculate, in your head, the
day of the week for any date (not yet updated for 2001) --
http://www.interlog.com/~r937/doomsday.html
</plug>

> The second question is : what would be your best
> navigation system?

my best navigation system?  two levels deep, no more

  web site architecture 101
  http://evolt.org/article/web_site_architecture_101/4090/635/evolt.org

<warning> turn off css to view this article, it was written before
evolt.org revised its site design </warning>

rudy.ca

Philippe Jadin www.123piano.com