[thelist] Multiple Processors???

Peter Beckler naplescom at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 21:28:18 CST 2001

The difference between a 1GHz chip and an 866MHz chip is minimal anyway. If
costs are similar, I'd jump at the second processor on the 866MHz system.
Win2K handles the second processor much better. You could get more than 40%
improvement with a database app on the second processor. It's easy to set
tasks for each processor too. You'll only see maybe 5% difference with 866
vs. 1000MHz.

If costs are different, go for the cheaper and buy more RAM. Don't get 256MB
of RAM and expect any kind of performance. I put 256MB on Win2K Server and
it crawled after opening one app. You'll need 512MB min. Definitely get
redundant disks. Get someone to set up right, too.

Peter B