[thelist] Re: WebReview responds to WaSP browser death march

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 12:52:36 CST 2001

> From: matthew garrett <matthew.garrett at snet.net>
>
> > it's kind of hard to respond to this, however, if you don't tell me
> > *why* you're dismayed...  can i assume you use a WYSIWYG?  if so, do
> > you use it exclusively?  no hand-coding?  if so, then, not much i
> > can say, except the tool holds you back... if you are hand- tweaking
> > the code, good for you, but you might want to consider the
> > limitations of the tool...
>
> <serious value="but not too serious">
> All-righty then. Please tell us more about how to live our lives.

more red meat... we all need more well-read meat (smart meat, get
it?  anyone?)

> It looks like fun, so let me try it:
> Do you drive a car?

if you call that driving...

> If you are really committed to getting where you are going, you would
> always ride a bike or walk instead. Like hand coding, it's better for
> you, better for the environment, and better for all around you. To do
> it any other way is incorrect. And if you're done with the car, can I
> have the keys? </serious>

i've been pricing those Toyota and Honda hybrid cars... does that
count?  but i don't think the analogy is quite accurate...  it's kind of
like photography... you can bring it to Fotomat, or you can go into
the darkroom on your own... for your personal photos, Fotomat is
probably good enough... but when you want to show your talent,
you want that enlarger in nobody's hands but your own...

> We use the tools we use, to the best of our abilities. Hopefully, we
> learn and progress to the point where we can accomplish the job with
> the simplest tool available. Some of us (myself included) aren't there
> yet.

i've got no problem there, but as long as you use the tool, you are
most likely creating non-compliant code... that's nothing you
should take personally, that's just the way it is...  kind of like a
point-and-click camera won't give you the depth-of-field effect you
want...

> For the record: i use Dreamweaver (gasp), tweak by hand (better), and
> code ColdFusion by hand (why? i don't know). Does that make me a bad
> person?

no, just a sinner...