[thelist] Designer vs. Coder

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Mon Feb 26 18:07:22 CST 2001

Just to jump in on this and provide a bit of perspective with my own
humble opinion..and brian brings up some good points..

Talking about the 'designer' vs. the 'coder' on this kind of list(web)
will always cause some rucus.. Being more from the programming side(real
languages.. *duck* ;) of the business myself, we have 'designers' and
'coders' there too.. The guys/gals that write high level c and c++
applications can be split into the two groups as well. The people the
have the high level view of how things should work, flow, etc. are the
designers.. The geeks that actually do the shit are the coders. The
hands on, the nitty-gritty.

Sure there are crossovers. But the crossovers become rarer the larger
the project and the more detailed the work is. I mean, if you're
designing a world class web site(lets say olympics.com) you probably
have the code monkeys and the 'designers', seperatly. Same thing with
applications.

At any rate, more often than not, we're more alike than we may like to
admit and thats what counts :)

rambling,
.djc.