[thelist] Mac tools

david braun david.braun at centralnet.ch
Tue Feb 27 07:48:37 CST 2001

Hi Janet

Most of what had to be said has been said, but there's some more:

For text, there's nothing like bbedit...

(well, there's pepper (http://www.hekkelmann.com/pepper.html), very
nice, but not as powerful, adaptive, nor as web-/programming-oriented;
or PageSpinner, an extensive, $30 HTML-editor)

For Grafix, buy a scanner, PS should be bundled (if you're lucky, ye
might even get the full version) GraficConverter is good, too. It has
some great batch-job functionalities.

You also could go and get CorelDraw, wich, afaik gives away a free
version... http://www.corel.com/draw8mac/downloadlinks.htm

Though I don't know it's actual state of "being", but Debabelizer was
once the schwarzenegger of Image-Conversion and batch-/ scripted jobs,
and had by far the best results for conversion-jobs. It's interface
ain't that clear, and it's expensive...

Image-Mapper is the best (not the cheapest, though) img-map tool I know.

For CSS, use stylemaster.

For Gif-Animations, go get GifBuilder (v 0.5, still works very nice)
Macromedia Fireworks and Adobe ImageReady are the multi-$$$
alternatives.

Small Screen draws the size of different Screen-resolutions as a black
rectangle, quite useful...

IcontoGif is good at ripping #icn-resource-files

Mirror 1.0 (deprecated) is a hassle-free mirroring-tool, sometimes
_very_ useful (it has some quirks/bugs that sometimes are the last
resort to get me getting my job done, because it somehow overrides the
state (readonly etc) of documents, ignores apples navigation-services,
and stuff like that)

VSE BeFound is a not_so_cheap searchengine-machine, with plenty of
tools and options, and access to many searchengines.

For ftp, there's
-Interarchy (a somewhat big package of anything related to ftp plus
other stuff (ping etc), integrates well with BBEdit)
-Netfinder (has a nice, finder-like interface)
-Transmit by panic.com
-fetch

For the "VersionTracking", you could use Voodoo Personal...

of course this could be extended at will, but I don't know any more
noteworthy applications so far...

hth
david