[thelist] Dedicated IP vs. "not dedicated" ;)

Gary Pupurs garyp at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 27 13:02:37 CST 2001

> I don't think that dedicated IP means dedicated server.

April is right.  While all dedicated servers come with at least one
dedicated IP, you can have a virtual server on a shared machine with your
own IP.

Other thing to keep in mind, if you care, what happens when someone does a
reverse DNS lookup on your IP?  If it's a shared IP address, www.xyz.com
might resolve to 10.10.11.45.  If you nslookup THAT on a IPless virtual
server you're likely to get something like server45.mycheaphost.com
(hopefully not mycheaphost1.dsl.cheapdsl.com!).  If it's your own IP you an
tell your ISP to make that whatever you want, so if your own IP is
10.100.10.77, it might resolve to web1.xyz.com.

This usually isn't too important, and only a small percentage of web surfers
even know how to do this, but if you're running something like a secure
ecommerce app, the more wary technically savvy surfer may 'investigate' your
site like this to ensure you're not a fraud.  Just something to be aware of,
nothing to lose sleep over however...

-g (waiting for IPv6 when even my watch can have it's own IP address!)