[thelist] Accessibility and Validation at War

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Feb 28 17:30:40 CST 2001

Hey people,

I've been working on a standard "template" to start from for new sites. I
wanted it to be able to make a clean sweep through both Bobby and the W3C
Validator.

I ran it through Bobby first and it said to add the <fieldset> tag around
my block of radio buttons (plus the label) and the <legend> tag around the
label for that fieldset. I set it up around my <tr> block (the entire form
is in a table) like so:

Now, I ran it through the W3C validator and it doesn't care for that at all
(I'm shooting for XHTML 1.0 Transitional). It says only <tr> can go there,
not <fieldset>.

I'm not sure what to do, moving the fieldset anywhere else (like within the
the table if I can help it, but I'm hoping there might be an easier
solution (short of abandoning accessibility or validation).

Anybody tried something like this before?

Thanks.

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer
Imaginuity Interactive