[thelist] menus without frames

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Wed Feb 28 18:46:55 CST 2001

on 2/28/01 7:25 PM, Michael Hall at m_d_hall at hotmail.com wrote:

> What I'd like to know is: can I with out frames load the menu from one file
> and just put that code on every page so that i just update the menu one
> place and it is then seen on all pages. Like style sheets only for content.

You betcha - depending on what the server is.

What you need is known as Server Side Includes - Apache does it, PHP does
it, ASP does it, etc.  Pretty much every application server has some way to
do it.

With Apache XSSI, it's really simple.

You make a file with just the html you need (like just the table for the
menu) and save it as somewhere. Call it what you want, but I'll call it
file.incl.  Some folks use the incl extension for includes.

You call it like this:

<!--# include virtual="path/to/file/file.incl -->

Put that where you want to have the table show up, and make sure you have
the file saved with the correct extension ( most apache servers are set up
to parse .shtml, though not all.  Ask your systems admin.)

There's a good tutorial on xssi from webmonkey:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/97/39/index1a.html

It might help.

bob

--