[thelist] Mac and ASP

Bailey, Dan DBailey at digitalinsurance.com
Fri Mar 2 12:59:35 CST 2001

I think I can help you out.  I built an entire site in ASP/VBScript using a
Mac. (www.fontosaurus.com)

1.) Get ahold of BBEdit -- if I recall correctly, it has syntax highlighting
similar to Homesite.  This will help out a great deal.  I don't know if
GoLive will do much for you in the ASP department -- I stopped using it when
it was still GoLive Cyberstudio.

2.) Wrong book.  ASP in a Nutshell gives you the nitty-gritty about the
backend workings of ASP.  If you're planning on simple coding, you'd be
better off with VBScript in a Nutshell.  I have both and find myself
referring to the VBScript book 95% of the time.

When I built Fontosaurus, I started off with a quick list of the various
sections I wanted in the site, a list of functionality ideas, and then
hashed out a template.  Once that was done, I started with the ASP code and
integrated it into the template, coding all the ASP by hand, which was no
small chore.  (Fontosaurus was the first site I ever built employing
ASP/VBScript.)

If you need any help, with anything, feel free to contact me off-list:
dan.bailey at fontosaurus.com

I'll give you as much help as time permits.

-- Dan

Dan Bailey
Content Engineer
Digital Insurance
dbailey at digitalinsurance.com
(610)-278-5471
When your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
"Shop smart!  Shop S-mart!"