[thelist] What prog language is best to learn?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 3 00:04:25 CST 2001

> From: "Dreamscape Interactive Web Design"
<sherrie at dreamscapeinteractive.com>
[...]
> learned a lot. The problem is I want to do this full time.A
> representative from an Internet company saw my work and wants me to
> apply for a job, but they want me to know VB and they design in MS
> Virtual Studio. I have a lot of logic programming experience but the

did you tell the company what you can do?  and do they know that
you don't know VBScript?  or do they really want VB?  either way,
if they like you enough to ask you to apply, then they should like
you enough to train you in VBScript... if they expect you to learn it
before they hire you, that's too bad because that means they won't
take the time to train you, and really might not be interested in
other skills... that's my pragmatic view...

> language - same concept as binary - is only used in the machine tool
> business. I am good at cutting and pasting JavaScript, Flash,
> Dreamweaver and so on, but I have more experience in graphics than
> computer programming. I know I can learn VB, but even though this rep

well, do you want to be a designer or a programmer?  or something
in between (like everyone else here)?  you also need to make sure
you'll enjoy doing what you do...

> has urged me to apply, I am nervous about it and know I need to learn
> more first. The problem is what should I learn next? Is VB used that
> much for web design? I am confused by the number of web development
> programs that are out there and every company expects you to know all
> of them. Could you folks help me out? Here are my sites.

i still think you should find out if they want a programmer (which
means they aren't willing to train, and you won't be able to design),
a designer (in which case why do they want you to learn VB/VBS
when the little you'll need to know you can pick up), or a jack-of-all
trades (in which case you had better manage your and their
expectations, and ask for the damn training)...

er...

[...]
> http://www.dreamscapeinteractive.com and the Carry Nation Festival
> site http://www.carrynation.com Thank you, Sherrie Grady

they both crashed my browser, and took part of my system with
it... in fact, if my email gets out, you'll know i salvaged some of it...