[thelist] Rollover code from evolt

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 6 03:01:06 CST 2001

>      I don't want to use Dreamweaver rollover code anymore and I remember
>this code that Anthony posted a LOOONG time ago (address may wrap):
>
>http://evolt.org/article/All_In_One_Simple_Rollover_JavaScript/17/343/index.html

Well, this code isn't that different (though slightly easier to understand).

>Two questions (BTW, I'm a JavaScript dunderhead):
>
>1) Is this code still current? IOW, is it dated, now that IE 5 and NN6 are
>out? I'm looking for general cross browser/platform compatibility (4.0 is
>low enough for me).

Yes, it's still current, except that it doesn't solve the NN6 problem I
posted about yesterday. But I find it far too complicated. As a comparision,
I offer my own script:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?mouseov.html

>2) Does the code preload images? I remember a long discussion about
>preloading regarding this (or related) code, but can't find the
>original thread (I don't think I'd understand it anyway).

It seems that the code loads the image the first time you roll over it, so
that it's loaded into the JS array the second time you go over it. The whole
point of preloading is making sure that the mouseover image is already there
the *first* time you go over it, so my answer would be 'No'.

ppk