[thelist] frameborder=0

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Wed Mar 7 10:20:30 CST 2001

Jim,

> ><frame frameborder="0">
> >(See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#h-16.2.2)
>
> nope, that <em>still</em> leaves a white border betwen the frames...
>
> i'm begining to think it can't be done.  here's my frameset

	Sorry, I originally tested using a white background and didn't see
the remaining space between the frames. This is a case, unfortunately, where
there is apparently *no* standards-compliant way to remove the spacing
between the frames. Placing a border attribute with a value of "0" in the
frameset seems to be the only cross-browser way to accomplish this, although
IE also supports a framespacing attribute on the frameset element which does
the same thing.
	Reluctantly, I have to blame the W3C for this one. While it may be
that there is no intrinsic reason that framesets with the frameborder
attribute set to "0" should still display some type of border, compatibility
with the de facto standard set by existing browsers should have dictated an
attribute within the W3C standard to eliminate the extra space. After all,
HTML 4.x was developed long after both Netscape and Microsoft had widely
distributed browsers that supported frames and exhibited this behavior.

James Aylard