[thelist] Tweaking Dreamweaver code (was Homesite vs Dreamweaver)

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Thu Mar 8 08:12:03 CST 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> Could you expand on this. For example are you generating layout by
> converting Tables from Layers (DIVs) using DW or are you creating table
> layouts using the Insert Table button on the Objects Panel (Version 3.0
> Palette)

When I sent my earlier message I was doubtless thinking of the former
method. though I'd think that either approach could cause problems without
carefully-determined preferences.

Short of advising you to hand-code straight through (see alistapart.com
for details) the best thing I can suggest is to edit>undo anything if your
intention is (colloquially speaking) to backspace-and-overstrike a layout
decision.

Ultimately, though, the majority of the yucky code I see from Dreamweaver
is in situations where the software has created an absurdly complicated
(and/or detailed) table to achieve a particular layout.  The indents can
also be a bit of a pain, but those can easily be changed via preferences.

Having narrowly approached the limits of my current DW expertise, I now
pass this thread off to others more qualified than I to discuss
Dreamweaver's specific quirks.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large
persist1 at io.com

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."
"We will disguise ourselves as a cow."
"Oh!" (giggles) "That was it exactly!"