IE5/mac disappearing scrollbar (was: Re: [thelist] site crit:iaslash.org)

Paul Dewey paul_dewey at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 12:48:45 CST 2001

Floating menus are nice but can become annoying very quickly.  When you
scroll down quickly like I do they skip and this can be ignored.  My main
concern is someone accessing this site not via main browser or browser being
open all the way.  When I accessed the site it was a pop up and some of the
menu was cut off and I couldn't view the whole menu unless I opened my
browser to a larger size becuase the menu followed me while I scrolled.
Your choice but open your site and shrink your browser to allow it to cut
the menu and try to view.

Just a comment form,
Paul

<tip type="menu" author="Paul">
Make sure you test the visibilty of your menu if you plan to do anything
"fancy" to it.  Let it be a flaoting menu or drop down menu or anything like
that.  That you shrink your browser or access it form a pop up or any and
all other means a user may see your page.  Remember we still have people out
there that view web pages at 640x480 and sometimes even lower.
</tip>
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
>DC wrote:
>>  That didn't happen to me this time, the page looked good and had
>>  scrollbars, but I have seen this before. It happens unpredictably,
>>  but always with pages which use CSS positioning. My impression is
>>  that the more <divs> there are positioned with CSS, the more likely
>>  it is to happen, but I can't actually back that up.
>
>that's strange. i've been trying to figure that one out, but haven't been
>able
>to. i can't test on a mac at work so i'm stumped. i guess the best
>question is,
>is this an over-use of technology? i thought it was a helpful addition to
>have
>the navigation follow you as you scroll, but if it means that the page is
>not
>usable or is irritating, then i start to question whether it should
>stay or not.

I rather liked the moving navigation, though I guess some people
wouldn't. I wouldn't blame it for the disappearing scrollbar. I've
not noticed any correlation between the use of JavaScript and the
scrollbar disappearing.

The page still scrolls using the keyboard, BTW, even when the
scrollbar vanishes.

DC