[thelist] Managed Hosting Solutions

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Thu Mar 8 13:28:41 CST 2001

Hi everybody!

We've been looking around for managed hosting solutions for some time now
(i.e. where they maintain the hardware, security, etc., but we handle
everything else).  Who are some good providers who aren't going anywhere
(no small companies).  We've been looking at Rackspace, are they any good?

Here's what we need:

   - 24/7 Tech Support
   - The ability to resell the service to our clients and host them on the
same box.
   - Full root access
   - W2K Box w/ColdFusion 4.5 and SQL server (but needs to support
Linux/Apache/mySQL because we want to
     get to that at some point), and we don't necessarily need them to
support CF, just allow it.
   - Ability to install RealMedia Server, maybe QT Server later.
   - A good, low- to mid-bandwidth mail solution.
   - The ability to tack on other boxes for ASP, JSP or PHP at any point.
   - The ability to have other databases (Oracle, etc.) at any point.
   - Moderate bandwidth amounts for web traffic.
   - The obvious fast connection speed (OC48+ would be nice)
   - The obvious redundant systems (proactive monitoring, fire suppression,
diesel backup, earthquake
     proof if in CA, daily off-site backups).

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer
Imaginuity Interactive
http://www.imaginuity.com