[thelist] Email Server Advice

danna member at spreier.com
Thu Mar 8 21:45:50 CST 2001

I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this has been covered. Just of late, I
have become suspect that the mail server my mail is on may have been placed
on an ORBS or MAPS list or in some way is being blocked by some isp's.  Yes,
I can change my SMTP to my isp SMTP, but I have clients using their
web-based I-mail.  I have been receiving complaints by some clients that
their mail is not getting to certain people.  I checked my server ip's at
the ORBS and mail-abuse sites but the query showed that I wasn't in their
database.  But I know there is some problem.  Address.com will block mail
from that server.

My question is this... what is the best way to resolve this?  Is there
another good/reliable email server out there I can switch my clients to that
would still provide flexibility (POP3, web, forwarding) but is immune to the
blacklist?  Can I just change the MX record where the domain is hosted to a
new server and bypass my current hosts problems?

I called my host and didn't get much of an explaination.  I believe they
have open relay mail servers.  Please correct me if I'm getting the details
or wording wrong.  I'm just learning about all this stuff and it's still a
little confusing to me.

One last thing.  I've also gotten complaints from customers using AOL that
they were not getting their email from others.  Are there that many innocent
email victims out there?  Has anyone else been experiencing such problems?

Thanks in advance!