[thelist] anchors in IE

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Mar 9 21:21:15 CST 2001

On 9 Mar 2001, at 13:25, Ben Henick wrote:

> > page1.htm
> > <a name="whatever">

> > page2.htm link

> I find it entirely likely that IE's choking on the lack of a closing
> tag.  It's true that HREF and NAME are mutually-exclusive attributes for
> the anchor tag, but the use of NAME doesn't remove the requirement to use
> a closing tag.

Not only do you need a closing tag, but you need something *between*
the tags. An &nbsp; will do, but the HTML specification warns:

   Note. User agents should be able to find anchors created by empty A
   elements, but some fail to do so. For example, some user agents may
   not find the "empty-anchor" in the following HTML fragment:
   <A name="empty-anchor"></A>

deke

--------
I got this powdered water.