[thelist] Critique: www.tryspot.com/tharapita/

Lauri Vain optima at hot.ee
Sat Mar 10 07:25:52 CST 2001

Peter,

> 1. icons won't be easily understood. Consider replacing them with words.

We will add words under them.

> 2. "welcome new visitors" is a bad strapline. Try make a strapline that
> explains the purpose of the site in 3 to 5 words. Something like : "Love
> planes? So do we." or "For airplane geeks".. Whatever you come up with.

We are aware of that -- the designer just added "something" to fill up that
space.

> 4. You need a pagetitle on every page. Where the ::introduction:: is now
> (or just above it).

The so-called child pages will look similar to
http://www.tryspot.com/tharapita/blackbird.html

> 5. Don't use pt for font size. It keeps people from resizing the text, and
> my guess from your target audience is that some may be over 30 (e.g. may
> have bad eyes).

We will probably change them to pixels -- whether 10 or 12, we'll see which
looks better. The user should be able to override those with his/her own
stylesheets specified in the browser, right?

> 6. Are you planning to have subcategories in that navigation (e.g. bombing
> - old / bombing - japanese / ...) (I made that up)? If so, how are you

Not at first -- when the need arises (there will be too many planes) then we
will add them. That won't be very big of a change to the database later.

> goind to deal with that in the navigation. Seems like you only designed the
> homepage, you should definitely also try designing some sub level pages,
> see if they still work.

In the beginning the sub level pages will look like
http://www.tryspot.com/tharapita/blackbird.html

> But great overall, definitely the right direction.

Thanks!

A sidecomment to everyone who have replied before: We won't probably change the
font of the "tharapita.com" because other fonts will make the page looking too
cold or the text won't be easily understood. Three persons have also said that
they like the present font and we figure it isn't very critical.

Yours,
Lauri