[thelist] Detecting AOL browser (was contract feedback requested?)

Tony Collen manero at yossman.com
Tue Mar 13 22:46:46 CST 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Bob Haroche wrote:

> I also thought that it was not possible to detect AOL on a PC because, so I
> thought, it identifies itself only as IE.  But I see from your logs it's
> possible to extract the "AOL" from the agent string to detect (redirect) AOL
> users.  Is that right?

Ok, I'm sort of a late-comer to this list, but since it seems relevant I
guess I'll post it.

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/tohell/

A List Apart talks about why designers should stop supporting older
browsers (Like MSIE 2-3, ugh!).  Lots of good questions are raised in
their forums on this story too.

--
Anthony Collen
manero at yossman.com