[thelist] CF: Tag to insert into body tag

Raymond Camden rcamden at allaire.com
Mon Mar 19 08:19:21 CST 2001

> before you rush off to build a cf_body custom tag, let me warn
> against this
> route in favor of the script block method i proposed for
> performance reasons
> related to custom tags.  you're much better off avoiding the
> performance hit
> of the custom tag by using a different method of calling a
> function with the

While I agree with the solution you provided, what do you mean by
performance hit? Sure, more code equals more stuff to process equals more
_time_ to process. Sure, a solution written in JavaScript will be faster,
but you seem to be implying the custom tags in _general_ are bad for
performance. This is not the case. Again - the same rule applies - more code
equals more processing time. But for 99% of the work you do, this will not
matter, and the benefits of custom tags (code re-use and readability) far
outweigh the cost to performance.

p.s. If I read you wrong, just ignore me. ;)

Raymond Camden, Principal Spectra Compliance Engineer for Allaire

Email   : jedimaster at allaire.com
ICQ UIN : 3679482