[thelist] darwin streaming server

genghis at members.evolt.org genghis at members.evolt.org
Mon Mar 19 13:19:11 CST 2001

My point to them was that servers cost more money than
clients.  I'd use (read: buy) a MacOS X server for QTSS
because it's pretty much guaranteed to be ahead of the
curve for features and stablility, given that it's 'home
ground'.  If they think I'm going to spend $2000 on a
Mac just to encode for it they can shove their platform.

Yes, that sounds slightly illogical under certain
circumstances, but there are millions of people who
stream things for a living (which we mostly do, despite
the impression I've been giving here for the last
2 years) who just can't be bothered.  You want cross-
platform, you use Real 5 or G2.  QTSS doesn't begin to
compete in quality-versus-bitrate anyway - not yet.

In any case, the main reason Apple is dumb here is,
as usual, it's using pointless delaying tactics.  The API
is open-source, some companies are building encoders.
They're handing an income stream to a third party, forever,
for no reason in order to protect a few thousand bucks
in hardware sales. Again.

<clever-historical-joke type="feeling pleased with myself">
Apple are a bunch of Cnuts.  A-ha.  Two fantastic double-
entendres in one thread; my mother would be proud :-)
</tres amusant>

> >They
> >ported Darwin to Linux about 2 years ago, before
> >Apple bothered to try.
>
> I've heard of Entera, and believe they have ported QTSS/DSS (same thing,
> different name) to Linux and some other operating systems. That's the nice
> thing about Apple opening up the source code to the server :) I
> think you're
> talking about porting the Streaming Server to Linux because porting Darwin
> (a BSD-based OS) to Linux (a Linux-based OS) wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Of course you're right - it's because it used to be
referred to as Darwin Streaming Server.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 7209 4117       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com