[thelist] resizing in browswer

Paola Kathuria paola at limitless.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 11:15:38 CST 2001

Janice Tocher wrote:
> So, is there a way to set a 'max' width for a page when designing the tables
> to be liquid? (think this discussion had rolled around once before, but
> can't seem to find the answer to the query).

Yup.

I'll use the opportunity in pasting the relevant bit I
posted earlier by adding a correction.

Put your copy in a table but *don't* specify a width for the
table.  Instead specify your maximum width for the cell
containing the copy (this should be an absolute value, not a
percentage).  I tend to use <td width="450"> (for default font
face/size).

Note: when using this second method, don't include <hr> in the
copy cell, as this will force the cell to the maximum set width
(in Netscape 4.7).  <hr> set to a percentage gets around this
problem, though (e.g., <hr width="75%">  Correction: in NN 4.7
<hr> (plain or percentages widths) apply to the *browser* width
and not to the width of the enclosing element, such as a cell.
To use <hr> to create lo-tech vertical separator in this kind
of table/cell arrangement, use a low percentage, such as 25%

To see an example of this approach in action, have a look at
http://www.biwhm.org.uk/2000-view.htm

I'd still like to know how to get the same effect with CSS
(that also works on the printed page in NN 4.7).  Ideally,
I'd want to specify width in ems, so that line length is
related to font size.

Paola