[thelist] tabs or compressing dictionary lists

T.Abbey Abbey at abbeyink.com
Tue Mar 20 20:17:06 CST 2001

At 08:56 PM 3/20/01 -0500, you wrote:
>one last question. . . php didn't like the <?xml ...?> declaration that's
>supposed to go at the beginning of xhtml docs. . . nothing seems to mind
>its removal, but i was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this
>and how. . . . ?

Heh -- that was my first and only real tip here at evolt. You can leave
that line out and it will validate just fine. I have one e-pal that says he
always uses it -- as part of a php include. I have another e-pal says it's
the evil empire's doing.

Anyway, stick with the XHTML 1.0 Trans and pull that opening xml
declaration that also, coincidentally, uses PHP's *short tag* and you
should be fine.

Either that or talk to your sysadmin/host and see if they would happen to
want to turn php short tags off or hunt around and see if there's a handler
you can add to your htaccess file on a *nix server. (I don't know how to do
that, that's just what I was told, so I pulled that opening line and
validated).

Someday we may have to change it, but considering how much I've had to
change in the last 6 mos -- heh, piece'o cake.

<tamara />