[thelist] IE 6.0 beta in browser archive...

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 26 13:17:50 CST 2001

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at starkmedia.com>
>
> bit off topic here, but whats the difference between the WinME and
> Win2k builds? I thought if things worked on one version of windows,
> they were supposed to work on all versions? why two seperate builds in
> that case?

they're not the same codebase... MS released WinME as a bridge
between win98 and win2k, primarily aimed at consumers...

part of the reason i didn't buy a new machine i found was that it
came with WinME and the costs to get it replaced with Win2k
made it smarter to get another machine...

WinME is generally regarded as buggy, and gives all sorts of
trouble to memory-intensive apps like Photoshop... it's also
generally considered to be highly unstable... my own experience
makes me agree... i don't know why anyone would choose to use it
anyway, win98 has a smaller footprint and is more stable, and
win2k is just a hella lot more robust... but your general consumer
has no clue, and so there are a whole bunch of machines out there
with a bad OS (in addition to all the others)...