[thelist] Adobe and the 3D web

phil phil at xlab.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 02:57:39 CST 2001

> But there are no visual authoring tools for the Mac.
> So as far as I can see, it's dead in the water. I'm
> trying to get the VRML tools companies to realise
> that; if this statement rings true with anyone,
> please let me know, so I can pass the sentiment on.

ditto here, we develop almost exclusively on macintosh, and so it's a bit
sad when 3D developers ignore the platform for authoring. It's a bit small
minded.

I wasn't too impressed by Atmosphere to be honest - it was very slow, the
definition wasn't too great, the windows-only plugin and authoring tool
didn't help and the 15meg download wasn't too friendly either.

I really rate the stuff that Viewpoint builds so hopefully if Atmosphere
takes off it will support the technology more and help Viewpoint in the long
run, though I'm not convinced yet by Adobe's take on things.

I wonder if it was rushed to get there ahead of Macromedia's new Shockwave
3D development...

phil