[thelist] sending a web order to a fax machine

Paola Kathuria paola at limitless.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 08:47:01 CST 2001

Cayley Vos wrote:
> I have a site for a restaurant that wants to accept standard  paper faxes from
> an online orderform.
> Is there a simple script, or program like hydraFAX.com that will do this, or do I
> have to join j2.com and pay them monthly to do this?

There's a category on Yahoo for fax servers
http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Internet_Fax_Server/

It lists some free ones (which include ads in the faxes).  But
both sites look tacky and one crashed my browser with its pop-up
ads and so I wouldn't rely on them for faxed orders!

The most reliable looks like this resource:
http://www-usa.tpc.int/tpc_home.html
(The Phone Company's Remote Printing Service)

A quick skim of the FAQ implies that you need to generate
particular headers, that it has a specific coverage
http://www-usa.tpc.int/fax_cover_auto.html).  The page on
sending fax by e-mail (which as site can generate) is
http://www-usa.tpc.int/faxbyemail.html

Paola