[thelist] 95% of all spam caught by 1 simple filter (a.k.a. message rule in Outlook Express).

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Thu Mar 29 09:50:24 CST 2001

> Comments?

Could get sticky if you have multiple email addresses, and it sounds
high-maintenence.

What I do is have a catch-all at my mail server -sethbienek.com.  Whenever I
use my email address somewhere, I categorize it by site and the email type
that i expect to receive from that site.  some examples:

mcafee.newsletter at sethbienek..com
rcfoc.newsletter at sethbienek..com
register.com.webmaster at sethbienek..com
sethbienek.com.webmaster at sethbienek..com
paytrust.bills at sethbienek..com
ebay.auctions at sethbienek..com
yahoo.auctions at sethbienek..com

Then I have my filters sort the emails by the second half of the email
addres (i.e., if header contains 'newsletter at sethbienek..com' move to folder
personal/newsletters)

Then, any email that does not come directly to my "real" personal email gets
forwarded to SpamCop, which filters and either forwards the mail back to me
or quarantines it.

I suppose it's a bit complicated, now that I think of it.  But it works
great! :)  Which reminds me...

<tip type="thwarting spam">
Tired of getting spammed?  Check out SpamCop:
http://spamcop.net

It's a very effective, very easy to use, and very flexible email filtering
system, and it's really inexpensive.

Plus, as an added bonus, it allows you to track down and report spammers to
their upstream provider with a single click!

BTW, there are some features that are free for everyone to use without
subscribing.
</tip>

Best Regards,

Seth