[thelist] Formatting tips (was: Multi-Colored Drop-Down possible? Thanks!)

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Fri Mar 30 08:38:47 CST 2001

> <lame tip>
> </lt>

Make sure to format those tip tags correctly, or they won't make it into the
tips database!

<tip author="Ron Luther">
Don't forget that you can do quite a bit of your calculations at the
database instead of locally.

"Select ((field1 + field2)/7)" is faster than returning the two values and
doing the calculation locally.
</tip>

Besides, I don't think it's a lame tip at all!  I never would have guessed
it, though it makes sense now that you mention it!

<tip>
It's easy to fall into the "trap" of using what you know best to perform
functions best suited for other systems.  Make a conscious effort to always
use the right tool for the job.

If your database does something more efficiently than your appserver, get
the database to do it!  If the mail server does something more efficiently
than the database server, use the mail server to do it!

Some examples:
* <cfmail> (cf) and CDONTS (asp) do not handle sending large quantities of
email very well.  Leverage your mail server's power!  That's what it was
made to do!
* If you can move complex queries into stored procedures without too much
trouble, you can shave mondo processing cycles off your appserver.
* If you have a semi-complex authentication schema, consider using LDAP..
No sense in re-inventing the wheel, and the time investment to pick up the
new technology is well worth it!
</tip>

Regards (y'all),

Seth