[thelist] Slowing Down a Connection

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Fri Mar 30 10:48:22 CST 2001

This is the crux of my original post.  When I upgrade to a DSL line/cable
modem, I would like to be able to slow the connection speed in some way to
test the site in the real world (the basic page + includes + CGI + DB +
whatever) [Netmechanic came the close to this with their free service, but
it is limited and now they are starting to reduce the capabilities and push
you towards the "for fee" line].  It would also be nice to see the loading
sequence at certain speeds to make sure the important stuff that should be

The Web Optimizer at www.xat.com that Philippe notes seems close to the
mark, but then I have to pay $99 plus set up and maintain another web
server.  Anyone have experience with this?  Is it worth it?

Norman
www.craftedsolutions.com