[thelist] Slowing Down a Connection

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Fri Mar 30 11:51:42 CST 2001

> www.xat.com
> provides a web server that can be installed and that can be limited to any
> bitrate.
>
> It's win32, and I don't know if they have any other version, but it works
> really good.

I'd second this. Just downloaded the trial and tested it out. I like it.
Quick report/tip here:

<tip type="low bandwidth emulation with WebSpeed Optimizer"
author="Sam-I-Am">

WebSpeed Optimizer from xat.com
About: http://www.xat.com/wo/index.html
Download: http://www.xat.com/internet_technology/download.html (290k)

Its win32 only. Trial is good for 30 days, registered it costs $99.

It's basically a server. Installation was super simple, it recognized I
was already using port 80, suggested a few others, and finally let me
specify my own. I have it running on port 8000
I have the server root set to the same as :8085 - a site development
virtual host, so I can see both views simulaneously.
It's emulating a 28.8 connection, with 80% utilization of the available
bandwidth.
My choices are
1200 bps
2400 bps
9600 bps
14.4 kps
28.8 kps
33.6 kps
56 kps
64 kps(ISDN)
128 kps(ISDNx2)
256 kps
unlimited.

The utilization is a 0-100% slider. (set low to mimick a busy lunchtime
:)

I can allow/disallow browser cacheing.
I get an explorer-type view of the files requested, with filename,
directory, size, download time, last refered by and last url sortable
column headers.
But there's no facility to total the download time or filesize. Nor is
it clear how the multiple connections are being handled - if I total up
the download time column myself, is this a true estimate of the time as
percieved by the user.
I guess that bit I can just do with a stopwatch.

I've put a screen shot of a sample session at
<http://www.sam-i-am.com/misc/webspeed.gif>
This looks like a useful tool. It does a simple job well, without too
much clutter.

</tip>