[thelist] saturday freebie : splash pages

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 31 10:29:53 CST 2001

<tip type="splash pages">

So you've read the article on how to build a splash page so users
only see it once in a very long while
(http://evolt.org/article/splash/20/416/index.html).  But now you
want to let everyone see it every time, unless they specifically
request *not* to see it.  Not hard to do.

To fire off the JavaScript function to always skip the splash screen,
instead of calling the JS function in the <body> like this:

Try it in a hyperlink, like this:

onclick="SetCookie('SplashSkip','TRUE');">Never let me see this
damn page again</a>.

For the ASP version, append a query string to the URL in the
hyperlink, like this:

splash page, man</a>.

And instead of requesting that value just from the cookies
collection, request it from all first, perhaps like this:

IF Request("ASPSplashSkip") = "TRUE" THEN

</tip>