[thelist] setting up a faux-server environment

Mark Horgan ether777 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 08:12:59 CDT 2001

Setting up Mac web servers is going to be a problem since Macs are rarely
used as web servers in the commerical environment. I'm sure someone out
there has some info on this. On PC (preferably NT) it's pretty straight
forward. First you need to get a web server, either IIS/PWS(which supports
ASP)from Microsoft or Apache Web Server and then install PHP and maybe a
database server for database-driven websites (either mySQL or use built-in
windows ODBC drivers with Microsoft Access).

PWS4 for WIN95/98/NT4:
http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/nts/downloads/recommended/NT4OptPk/default.asp

IIS5 is on the W2K PRO disk

Apache for W2K
http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/
For other version of windows without Windows Installer (for those .msi
files)
http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/old/

and then install PHP4
http://www.php.net/downloads.php

and if you want to use a database with PHP download mySQL:
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/index.html

Mark