[thelist] Test for quicktime?

Matthew Fischer mfischer at e-fishsolutions.com
Sun Apr 1 23:00:20 CDT 2001

I have a page that I want to include a link for opening a popup window with a page that has an embedded .mov, however I only want the link to show if the browser can handle it.

Does anyone have a good test to see if a browser can handle .mov files? What should I test for - existence of the QuickTime Plug-In?

Dreamweaver has a script that lets you test for a plug-in, including Quicktime, and go to a different URL if the plug-in is found (optional) or not found. I can modify that script to have it document.write the link, but I'm more curious about what the best test is to see if the browser can actually handle the file.

Thanks,
Matt