[thelist] Re: what do you use to create code from layout?

Patrick Berry pberry at piratehaven.org
Mon Apr 2 09:53:35 CDT 2001

I get psd files from the art department after the comps have been
approved.  I then use Photoshop to extract any images I will need.
Image Ready to do any animated gifs, unless it can't get them down to
the file size I need, in which case I will use gifsicle[1].

Then I either fire up BBEdit[2] (Mac version 6.0) or vim[3] depeding on how
unix-ish I feel and hack away.

After having just read the 'To Hell With Bad Editors' article I'm
happy to say that I have weblint/tidy working with vim and BBEdit does
syntax checking based on the the DTD you specify.  It does a good job
of helping you right valid code.

I personally have never sat down with GoLive, Dreamweaver, or
Fireworks.  From the sound of it, most people use them to get a base
of code then ditch those tools and then have to "fix" what those
programs spit out.  I can see where they would be handy if you didn't
already have template or code chuncks for js/css effects though.

Pat
[1] http://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/ (windows port avialable)
[2] http://web.barebones.com/ (mac only)
[3] http://www.vim.org/ (windows port avialable)
--
Never underestimate the power of unbounded pessimism.  --jah!