[thelist] Chatting with Java in a Flash

Richard Livsey R.Livsey at cache-22.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 11:50:01 CDT 2001

A project I am currently involved in has a section that the client wants
users to be able to chat with each other.
The site is 100% flash (the brief lends itself nicely to flash) and I want
to make the chat room in Flash so it fits seamlessly with the interface.

My question is as follows - what is the best way to do this?

I could do it with Flash getting the messages from a text file which is
updated by Perl/PHP, but I am wary of using a text file due to the number of
users being expected.
Same goes really for using an Access database (NT server being used here).

What I would like to do, but don't quite know if its possible and/or how, is
to do it in Java.
I.e. have a java proggy running on the server and all the client programs
hook into it.
The Java programming I can do and I have written a few chat room style
programs in the past. The problem is integrating it with Flash - how do I go
about it?
Do I have Flash requesting new messages all the time, or can I have the Java
prog pushing the messages to flash?

Any ideas guys n gals?

Cheers.

R.Livsey