[thelist] Freelance Web Designer

aphelan (Andrea Phelan) aphelan at confederationc.on.ca
Tue Apr 3 18:58:35 CDT 2001

I'm surprised at the amount of collections problems that seem to have been
mentioned in this thread.
Some mentioned doing work for family for experience and getting paid very
little/nothing at all. What happened to never mixing business and personal
lives? I did four mid to full scale websites for my family and my
significant others' when I was starting out. Each and every one of them was
charged - and paid - full price. Further updates and revisions are to this
day held on retainer.
Time is money folks. One relative balked at my fee's, I told her 'very well,
then I wont be able to do the website, I need to get paid for my hours.
Hours I put in with you I can easily put in elsewhere. Time is money'
Elsewhere being other contracts of business management is irrelevant. I will
do a charity website for a not-for-profit organization. If the clients
intends to make money off of my work, I intend on getting paid for it.
As for initial contracts and proposals, if you're a first timer bite the
bullet and SIT DOWN WITH A LAWYER. I can't stress that enough. A foolproof
contract means everyone knows what to expect. Clarify what you expect
upfront, and what is included in the agreement.
That means that if, for example, you agree to do a 10 page/section website
on a 3 try agreed upon template with 4 photo's/graphics per page, getting
paid $2000 upfront and $2500 10 days after delivery, you get paid that.
Regardless of whether or not the website is finished. You sum ANY AND ALL
additional work up under additional contracts. If the client decides they
want 20 pages instead of 10, those 20 pages fall under a new contract and
you still get paid for the half-finished project. You have to protect
yourself.
Of course, these are just examples, the point is, talk to a business lawyer.
Nobody can walk you thru the jumble like a lawyer. Make him/her your best
friend :)

Annie