[thelist] Freelance Web Designer

the head lemur headlemur at qwest.net
Tue Apr 3 19:32:50 CDT 2001

> "Any advice from veteran freelancers about turning down clients?"

I run the other way from clients who have 'years of experience' and want to
put together a web site to act as a factor for goods and services. From used
cars to dog grooming. Most times you can smell the chain letter/get rich
schemes effect.(they usually want you to build against profits so you get to
do all the work, listen to all the bitching)

I do not under any circumstances work for any business client who does not
belong to their industry association. Association membership is the
strongest statement that a client can make regarding their business methods
and ethics.

Get a lawyer and draft a contract. Determine if what you are doing is work
for hire, or if you will retain copyright and license your work to your
client.