[thelist] Re: Freelance Web Designer

Rebekah Murphy bekah at nightvisions.com
Wed Apr 4 08:21:06 CDT 2001

> Here is a link to an article I wrote about How
> freelancers need to learn that their "time is money".
>
> http://www.florentinedesign.com/articles/march_bus_01.htm

While I agree on the importance of a good proposal,
I hesitate in creating any of the folowing before money
has changed hands:

"Site Specifications and layout"
"Storyboards, diagrams, or examples"

All these things take quite a bit of time, and doing
them before the client has agreed to hire you is not a
good idea (in my opinion). UI takes a lot of time, and
that time must be paid for. I can't put together a
site layout without determining the exact needs of
the client. If you give the client a site
layout, storyboard, diagrams, and examples before a
contract is signed, they very likely will take your work
and have someone cheaper produce it, leaving you
with nothing.

At least that has been my expeirence.

-Bekah

-