[thelist] is Access enough?

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Wed Apr 4 14:15:43 CDT 2001

> If I've got a db with maybe 12-15 tables (many of which will
> not be related)
> and the largest table has about 20 columns with hundreds of
> rows, when does
> it get to be to much? At 1,000? 5,000? 50,000?     500?

There are KB articles that talk about the limitations of Access, but these
are well within what it can handle (especially if yer talking Access2000).

> world, so not very
> many at any one time will be on the site.

This is the limiting factor. Access doesn't like to be hit supah hard from
the web side of things. As Rudy noted, evolt ran on Access for a while, so
there's some proof in that pudding; but yer gonna have to be careful about
how inserts/updates/deletes are handled, cause that's where you'll find
Access complaining....

oh, and since Access is file-based, take some time tweaking yer filesystem
via hardware tweaks/changes/upgrades and some OS tweaking. It's worth the
little extra research time....

sgd