[thelist] Do women view web pages differently from men?

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Thu Apr 5 13:41:15 CDT 2001

George Dillon wrote:
> So... over dinner, when I could get a word in between the kids' yellings...
> I was trying to describe to my computer-phobic partner why I found it so
> fascinating that both of the two guineau pigs testing my new creation seemed
> utterly unable to 'see' any text links and always went for graphics, and
> that I put this down to them both having a fair amount of browsing
> experience and were therefore more attuned to speedily scanning a screen for
> the items they were after, and she (having a masters in Women's Studies)
> commented that it was because they were both MEN and that women would be
> more likely to read what was in front of them... and I thought... could this
> be true, and would evoltistas and evoltisteros have anything to say about
> it... maybe even someone could cite a reference to an article with some
> research statistics along these lines...  I mean, it would matter if you
> were designing a site with a very gender-specific audience... you know...
> men like looking at pictures, don't we, while women are more interested in
> cerebral things... well, that's what she says anyway... what do you think?

The only way to test this possibly-inflammatory theory is to atually
test your new creation on some women.

RUN, don't walk to buy "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug. Tremendous
book.

In my experiences watching men vs. women browse and testing men and
women I've not seen anything of the sort above.

Testing is the key component, I think.

	- Joe
Joe Crawford ||||||||||||||       mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com