[thelist] Do women view web pages differently from men?

Natalie Klein nkle at lle.rochester.edu
Thu Apr 5 14:51:50 CDT 2001

I was recently usability testing a flash timeline (very small group) and I
ran into something very similar. The women found my text links much more
easily than the men. I also found that the men asked for more bells and
whistles. The first comment when they sat down at the machine was "Is there
going to be music?"

Another interesting item was the relationship of passive and active verbs
in the text link. My link was originally "How does it work?" Nobody saw it.
It didn't matter where it was on the screen, the size, or the color. When I
changed the link to "Show me how it works" (active verb) I started getting
an ~80% click through rate.

Very interesting...

Natalie

Natalie Klein