[thelist] DCOM / WinNT4/Win2K help please

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Mon Apr 9 12:22:46 CDT 2001

I have developed a DLL that runs on a file server running Win2K. After
registering it as a component with the component manager, I can export it
as a proxy application and then double-click the resulting .msi file to
install it on any of our Win2K web servers. However, I cannot get any of
our Win NT4SP5 web servers to import the component. I even tried
registering the DLL locally on the NT machines and then using dcomcnfg to
set it up to execute on the remote files server - with no luck. Can anyone
help me out with this problem? Going the other way - from WinNT to Win2K
was a cake walk, but this?? Ay-yi-yiii!

Thanks a ton!

<tip type="project design">
When you are developing a solution for a client, make SURE that you get
correct information from them regarding the environment that the solution
will be deployed in. Don't trust just anyone's word about what will be
there, make sure to talk to the right person, otherwise you may be in for a
nasty surprise when it is ready to be rolled out.
</tip>

See above problem for reason for tip ;-)

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"